So I have been experiencing a lot of anxiety lately. I can not pin point one exact cause. I think there are many. I am an anxious person by nature and have been diagnosed many years ago with Generalized Anxiety Disorder.
I have been having some panic along with the anxiety and the usual symptoms of racing mind, racing heart, pain in the chest area, sleepless nights and that feeling of doom. With the symptoms you think the worst … heart attack. But I have had enough anxiety over the years to know it is not, but it doesn’t stop the anxious thoughts. I have been to my therapist who suggested some reading materials and deep relaxation breathing. I have seen my doctor who confirmed I was not going to stroke out and suggested some of the same things. The thing is I get so caught up in my anxiety that I am too paralyzed to do anything. I try to ignore the symptoms, but they are always there. It sucks!
I follow the Cleveland Clinic on Facebook since that is where I had my UC surgery and this ironically popped up on my page today …. Anxiety 9 ways to keep it at bay:
1. Think of yourself as a firefighter putting out the flames of anxiety with cool breaths
2. Cool down anxious thoughts by thinking about what you can and cannot change about the situation.
3. Get some perspective by considering how the situation will impact your life in 5 minutes or 5 years.
4, Sooth your system – try some yoga stretches or find some other gentle ways to calm your body.
5. Talk it out by sharing your feelings with others.
6. Don’t ignore, something needs your attention.
7. Rule out other causes that may be medical issues.
8. Wait it out, ride the wave as this too shall pass.
9. Be mindful and stay in the moment. The game of 5 ….. name 1 thing you can taste, 2 things your can smell 3 things you can touch right now 4 things you can hear and 5 things you can see see in the immediate environment.
I will try, especially the breathing that was suggested by my counselor and doctor while I ride the wave waiting for this to pass.
Due to my addiction I can not take benzodiazepines especially since Xanax and Ativan were my drug of choice. That leaves me with Buspar and Hydroxyzine. If I take enough it will kind of take the edge off, but what I really need is a healthy dose of Xanax, Even my Dr. said that nothing was as effective as the benzos. But it is not worth the possibility of another addiction crisis. The odds of me taking them as safely as prescribed are not in my favor. So like I said above I just have to ride this one out and do what I can to minimize the effects.
Anxiety sucks and is not for sissies!